Sleep Strategies That Work
If you have an occasional sleepless night, over-the-counter sleep aids can be a helpful short-term fix. But if insomnia is a regular thing, there are better strategies.
Dr. Goldman offers these tips to set yourself up for slumber success:
- Practice good sleep hygiene: Maintain a regular bedtime and wake time routine. Get out of bed if you arent sleepy. And avoid alcohol, tobacco, stimulants and electronic devices before bed, he says.
- Get regular exercise: A better nights sleep is yet another benefit of exercise.
- Find the light: Get outside for a dose of sunlight, especially in the morning.
- See a counselor: Therapists can teach cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia , a drug-free treatment to improve sleep.
- Keep a diary: Dr. Goldman recommends keeping a sleep journal so you and your doctor can look for patterns to better understand when you sleep and when you struggle. Armed with information, you can find the right path forward for a good nights rest. Its always a good idea to talk to your doctor or a sleep specialist before trying new sleep aids or supplements, Dr. Goldman says.
It might take some effort to turn your insomnia around. But itll be worth it when you wake up bright-eyed and bushy-tailed after a deep, restful slumber.
How To Take Melatonin
Use Melatonin exactly as directed on the label, or as prescribed by your doctor. Do not use in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
When considering the use of herbal supplements, seek the advice of your doctor. You may also consider consulting a practitioner who is trained in the use of herbal/health supplements.
If you choose to use melatonin, use it as directed on the package or as directed by your doctor, pharmacist, or other healthcare provider. Do not use more of this product than is recommended on the label.
Use the lowest dose of melatonin when you first start taking this product.
Take melatonin at bedtime, or when you are getting ready for sleep. If you use this product to treat jet lag, take the melatonin at bedtime on the day you arrive at your destination and keep using this product for 2 to 5 days.
If you take this product to treat other conditions not related to sleep, follow your healthcare provider’s instructions about when and how to take melatonin.
Do not crush, chew, or break an extended-release tablet. Swallow it whole.
Do not swallow the orally disintegrating tablet whole. Allow it to dissolve in your mouth without chewing. If desired, you may drink liquid to help swallow the dissolved tablet.
Measure liquid medicine carefully. Use the dosing syringe provided, or use a medicine dose-measuring device .
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
Can I Take Zzzquil While Breastfeeding
Another popular, medical drug that will help you move past the sleeping issues is ZzzQuil.
- As per the official ZzzQuil website, ZzzQuil should not be taken without talking to your healthcare provider first. The active ingredient in this medical treatment is Diphenhydramine.
- This is an antihistamine as well, which is often used to treat high fever, allergies, and other symptoms of viral infections. While this treatment is efficient in reducing symptoms such as cough, vomiting, sneezing, runny nose, and others, it will also cause you to get sleepy and help you relax.
- However, you shouldnt overuse this treatment as just like other similar ones, it can .
- We should also mention that this drug is not suitable for children younger than 6 years as it is not safe, and it could generate side effects such as extreme drowsiness or vomiting.
- In some cases, when the drug has a higher concentration of the active ingredient, you shouldnt use it for children before they reach 12 years old.
- Ask your doctor before starting any type of treatment or administrating it to your baby.
You May Like: Can I Take Unisom And Melatonin
Herbal And Complementary Medicines
Herbal remedies such as valerian, lavender, passiflora, chamomile, hops and catnip are widely promoted to promote sleep health. Research to support their efficacy is limited.
Many newer and emerging medicines are being tested for insomnia, so in the future more options should be available.
For now its important to remember none of the options listed above is without side effects, and most will cause dependence if used long term, meaning falling asleep without them will be even harder than it was before.
Improve your sleep hygiene, and if that hasnt worked for you, speak with your doctor about whats keeping you up at night. Shell be able to prescribe the best type of medication for you to use in the short term.
Can I Take Melatonin With Sleep Aids
Taking melatonin along with prescription sleep aids is a double-edged sword. Melatonin might help you get to sleep faster, lower the dose of prescription sleep aids you take and avoid the grogginess you feel the next day. On the other hand, combining sleep aids might produce too much sleepiness and possibly pose a risk of accidents.
What Sizes Are Available
Unisom SleepTabs are available in 16, 32, 48 and 80 count sizes. All sizes are in child-resistant packaging. The 16 count is packaged in a blister card. All other sizes are available in bottles.Unisom SleepGels are available in 8, 16, 32, 60 and 100 count sizes. All sizes are in child-resistant packaging. The 8 and 16 count are packaged in blister cards. All other sizes are available in bottles.Unisom SleepMinis are available in a 60 count child-resistant bottle.Unisom SleepMelts are available in 24 count child-resistant blister cards.Unisom PM Pain is available in 15 and 30 count child-resistant bottles.Unisom Simple Slumbers is available in a 60 and 120 count child-resistant bottles.
Natural Sleep Medicine Options For Nursing Mothers
Besides plenty of treatments that you could use to help you sleep better while you are breastfeeding, there are also natural remedies you could use during this time.
- Chamomile tea is a well-known supplement that can help you sleep better as long as you drink it regularly before bedtime. Since sugar gives you energy, it is recommended to enjoy your chamomile cup of tea without sucha sweetener.
- Valerian will also help you relax and enjoy the sleep you need even if you are nursing. Valerian is a plant that can turn to be useful even for the relief of stress, anxiety, or attention disorders.
- Another natural treatment that might help you treat your sleeping problems is kava. This is a beverage based on the extract of the plant piper methysticum from the Pacific islands. There is no scientific study done on the effects of this herb while breastfeeding.
Sleeping disorders are common during the nursing months. But if you follow the right treatment, you shouldnt have to struggle with them too much. You should try the natural remedies first, even if you need to be more consistent to see results.
If the natural options dont work, talk to your doctor, and see what treatment is best for your condition.
A proper diet and a relaxed environment will also help you cope with the nursing days insomnia that might bother you.
How Does Unisom Work
When you take Unisom, the medication blocks the production of histamine and acetylcholine in the body. When these compounds are reduced, a person will start to feel sleepier.
If you are only having trouble sleeping while pregnant, your doctor might recommend Benadryl. Unisom is likely to be recommended for consistent nausea and vomiting during pregnancy.
What Drugs And Food Should I Avoid While Taking Melatonin
Melatonin may impair your thinking or reactions. Avoid driving or operating machinery for a least 4 hours after taking melatonin. This product may also affect your sleep-wake cycle for several days if you are traveling through many different time zones.
Avoid using melatonin with other herbal/health supplements. Melatonin and many other herbal products can increase your risk of bleeding, seizures, or low blood pressure. Using certain products together can increase these risks.
Avoid coffee, tea, cola, energy drinks, or other products that contain caffeine.
Also Check: Does Nugenix Have An Estrogen Blocker
Can I Take Unisom While Breastfeeding
You most likely heard of Unisom as one of the most popular sleep aids on the market.
- This medical drug could be an alternative to Melatonin, but you should use it with caution if you are breastfeeding.
- Unisom is one of the main antihistamines you will find in pharmacies. It is commonly known as doxylamine too. This drug can be part of an efficient treatment against cold and other health issues such as allergies, and it will give you a side effect of drowsiness as well.
- If you use Unisom in bigger doses than the ones prescribed by the doctor or if you use it for a more extended period, you might notice a decrease in lactation.
- But if you follow your doctors indications, you shouldnt have to struggle with significant side effects as the dosage is important.
ReferenceDoxylamine Drugs and Lactation Database NCBI Bookshelf
Is It Bad To Take Unisom Every Night While Pregnant
From an FDA perspective, Unisom has been generally considered safe for pregnant women. But, talk to your doctor before taking any medications. Together, you can discuss the medications potential effects on your baby and ensure that it wont interact with other medications you are taking.
Also Check: Does Kaiser Cover Hrt
What Else Can I Try
While it’s generally okay to take an OTC sleep medicine when you suspect that “decaf” coffee wasn’t really decaf, the best way to treat insomnia in the long run is to address the underlying problems, Dr. Sharma says.
Her advice: Train your brain to associate the bed with sleep. “Do nothing in bed other than sleeping and intimate activities,” she says. “No reading in bed, no playing with the phone in bed, and no laying in bed for hours not sleeping.”
Don’t shortchange other lifestyle remedies either. Try incorporating these tips into your regular routine and you might not have to hit up the medicine cabinet at all:
- Establish a regular sleep schedule: Go to bed and wake up at relatively the same time every day.
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and large meals before bed.
- Get active: Daily physical activity at least several hours before bed can promote better sleep later on.
- Use a white noise machine: Dr. Bollu’s patients have reported good success with white noise therapy.
- Put down your phone: The artificial light late at night can interfere with melatonin production.
- Wear blue-light glasses: They help block the rays that mess with your sleep hormones.
- Meditate: Some studies suggest medication may improve sleep.
- Practice mind-body therapies like tai chi and yoga: They can help fight stress and enhance sleep.
Unisom Simple Slumbers Drug
|$13.99Get Fast, Free Shipping with & Return this item for free|
Recommended Reading: Can Having Your Tubes Tied Cause Hormonal Imbalance
Observe These Caveats If You Use Over
It’s 2 a.m. and you can’t sleep. Is it okay to take a nonprescription remedy? “They’re not meant for the long term, but it may be okay for an occasional night of problems with sleep,” says sleep expert Dr. Lawrence Epstein, an instructor in medicine at Harvard Medical School.
But which option should you reach for? Drugstore shelves are lined with a dizzying array of products promising a good night’s sleep. They fall into two categories: nonprescription medications and dietary supplements.
What Exactly Is Cbd And How Does It Work
Cannabidiol, or simply referred to as CBD, is a non-psychoactive extract of the cannabis plant. It amongst the hundreds of chemical compounds present in the plant. All cannabinoids synthesized by the cannabis plant are referred to as phytocannabinoids.
Same as with any other cannabinoid, CBD works by interacting with the endocannabinoid system , a special control and regulatory system in the body, through cannabinoid receptors found all over the body. There are two types of endocannabinoid receptors CB-1 and CB-2. The CB-1 receptors are more pronounced in the central nervous system, while the CB-2 receptors are more pronounced in the immune system. The ECS regulates many vital bodily functions, which help in maintaining balance within the body. Any imbalance can lead to serious effects on the body. There is no understating how important the endocannabinoid system is to our survival. Some of the processes regulated by the ECS include:
- And in this case, our sleep-wake cycles and circadian rhythms
Multiple studies have found that the effects of CBD on sleep may be mainly dependent on the amount of dosage. For example, in small amounts, CBD may act as a stimulant, while in large doses, it may induce sedation. This is why, when using CBD, it is important to determine the right dosage for you. To date, there hasnt been any evidence indicating that the use of CBD poses any harm to the body.
You May Like: Does Melatonin Cancel Out Birth Control Shot
Is It Safe To Take Melatonin And Unisom Together
6 mins readMy obgyn said to take half a unisom with 50mg of vitamin B6 at bedtime and in the morning and thats helped a lot Melatonin is known to be relatively safe, Especially use caution when combining melatonin with sedating antihistamines found in OTC sleep If you are prescribed Prozac by a doctor, However, Melatonin may be helpful to add but not if experiencing tolerance to unisom.
|is it safe to take benadryl and melatonin|
|could it be harmful to take 2 unisom pills? | Answers from||May 17, I work night0Melatonin is produced naturally when we are in darkness, I work nights, but the hormone is one of the murkiest supplements on the market, Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g, which can help slow the aging process, including what it is used for, to be an antioxidant, Sometimes, Other times, that you can mix in cold water, Only in the U.S, This medication while it makes you sleepy with one, yet certain health risks exist from taking each of these products, and people experiencing jet lag typically exhibit poor sleep efficiency and reduced nocturnal plasma melatonin levels|
Read Also: What Hormones Do Birth Control Pills Have
Can You Od On Unisom
Symptoms of overdose may include: large pupils, flushing, fever, hallucinations, weakness, shaking , muscle twitching, loss of consciousness, seizures. In children, excitement may occur first, and may be followed by loss of coordination, drowsiness, loss of consciousness, seizures.
Also Check: Nugenix Estro Regulator Side Effects
How To Take Cbd And Melatonin Together
While the use of CBD and melatonin is considered safe, the last thing you need is overloading your body with too many sleep-inducing substances. You need to ensure that you get the quality and sustained sleep you need in order to stay awake, alert, and happier during the day.
Thus, the key here is to determine the right dosage for you. The rule of thumb is to start with low dosages to give your body time to adjust to the effects of CBD and melatonin, then work your way up. However, you have to keep in mind that studies have found smaller doses of CBD to have stimulating effects on the body.
Below is a brief guide on how to safely and properly use CBD and melatonin.
Sleep Aids For Children And Pregnant Women
Pregnant women should talk with their doctor before taking any sleep aid, including dietary supplements like natural sleep aids. Some sleep medications can have harmful effects during pregnancy for either a woman or their baby. Breastfeeding women should also consult with a doctor before taking any sleep aid.
Parents should use caution before giving their child any kind of sleep aid. Most sleep medications are tested primarily in adults, and their safety and effectiveness in children may be unclear. A pediatrician can offer the most tailored advice about the optimal sleep aid for a childs situation.
Don’t Miss: Can Having Tubes Tied Cause Early Menopause
Can I Take Two Unisom And A Melatonin Together
Its also common to take it during pregnancy to help with nausea and vomiting. Take melatonin and unisom at the same time Mixing unisom and melatonin Melatonin and unisom at the same time Melatonin and unison at the same time. Before stopping or reducing the dosage of these sleeping aids, be sure to consult your health care professional.
Can I Take More Than One Unisom Sleep Gel
These liquid-filled SoftGels leave no chalky taste behind like tablets, and with Diphenhydramine HCI as the active sleep -aid ingredient, you can get the sleep you need. For adults and children 12 years of age and over, one softgel should be taken at bedtime as needed or as directed by a healthcare professional.
Recommended Reading: Does Blue Cross Blue Shield Cover Testosterone Therapy