Q: What Is The Best Supplement For Menopause Mood Swings
A: Omega-3 fatty acids are good sources of EPA and DHA, which have been proven to aid in the treatment of menopausal symptoms such as hot flashes, depression, and cognitive impairments. All treatment plans for menopause symptoms should include vitamins such as vitamin A, vitamin B-12, vitamin B-6, vitamin D, and vitamin E.
Building The Proper Foundation For Healthy Hormone Levels
While natural supplements can certainly lessen your symptoms, a healthy lifestyle is the cornerstone of fixing a hormonal imbalance. If the proper building blocks of good health arent in place while taking supplements, you may not see the desired benefits.
The following recommendations can assist in improving your overall health, while balancing out your hormone levels.
How To Choose The Best Menopause Supplements
- Manufacturer When choosing top-rated menopause supplements, make sure that the product manufacturer is reliable and trustworthy. You can easily determine a manufacturers trustworthiness by looking at their website. The more information was given, the higher the possibility that you are dealing with a responsible company.
- Ingredients When choosing a menopause supplement, look for ingredients such as black cohosh, red clover, and saint johns wort. Menopause supplements also contain phytoestrogens from soy and other plants, but their efficiency is unknown. Because the FDA does not regulate dietary supplements, it can be hard to tell if the ingredients in your product are safe.
- Safety Some products are manufactured in an FDA-approved facility and by the Good Manufacturing Practice guidelines, which is a sign that a product is safe for use. Look for products offering a money-back guarantee as this also shows that the manufacturer has your safety and satisfaction in mind.
- Dosage Consider the number of capsules youll need to take daily in addition to the quantity of the ingredients listed.
Read Also: Hormone Doctors In My Area
Q: What Are The Important Vitamins After Menopause
A: Vitamins that are dubbed useful for menopausal women include:
- Vitamin A improves eye health, bone health
- Vitamin B12 bone health, production of red blood cells, neurological function
- Vitamin B6 prevents symptoms caused by low serotonin levels including depression and fatigue or lack of energy
- Vitamin D necessary for healthy bones mainly because it improves absorption of calcium
- Vitamin E functions as an antioxidant and protects the body from oxidative damage
What Causes Hormone Imbalance
Hormone imbalance can be caused both by external and internal factors. Some of the main causes of hormonal imbalance are:
- Hormone therapy, a cancer treatment that blocks or alters the hormones that fuel cancer development.
- Eating disorders lead to increased production of stress hormones, which cause higher levels of stress, depression, and sleep issues.
- Certain foods that contain hormone-disrupting substances. E.g. Even wild fish may be contaminated with high levels of mercury, which causes hormone imbalance.
- Cancer treatments, like chemotherapy, cause hormone imbalances mainly associated with changes in sexual health.
- Stress is known to throw hormones out of balance and cause mood swings, irregular menstrual cycle and increased libido in both genders.
- Injury or trauma can cause adrenal glands to produce insufficient amounts of hormones, which result in dehydration, fatigue and hormone imbalance weight loss.
Here are the 5 most common hormone imbalances to look out for:
Also Check: What Is Hormone Treatment For Breast Cancer
Don’t Miss: Can You Give Melatonin To Dogs
Lifestyle For A Lifetime
The most effective alternative to hormone therapy, however, doesnt come in a bottle. Physicians say that preventing heart disease, osteoporosis and cancer often boils down to lifestyle, one that includes regular exercise and a healthy diet. A diet high in calcium along with weight-bearing exercise bolsters bones. Avoiding high-fat foods and participating in regular aerobic exercise keeps the heart healthy.
These habits can prevent the diseases studies have proven it over and over again. Consider it, Greenwood advises. Those things are so much more effective than any pill you can put in your mouth.
Nelson Watts, MD, director of the Osteoporosis and Bone Health Program at The Emory Clinic in Atlanta, and principal investigator at the Atlanta site of the Womens Health Initiative, offers a word of caution. Often, diet and exercise are not enough by themselves. he tells WebMD. A woman needs to first talk with her doctor about what symptoms she wants to relieve, and look at the treatment options.
Dont Miss: How Much Hormones Does Nexplanon Release
How To Preserve Hormone Balance: A Guide For Women 30+ Over The Counter Hormone Balance Pills
Have you been feeling off recently? Experiencing irregular periods, state of mind swings, or tiredness? You might be battling with a hormonal imbalance. Over The Counter Hormone Balance Pills
Do not stress. Youre not alone. 1 in 4 ladies will experience a hormonal imbalance at some point in their lives.
Fortunately is that there are things you can do to feel and correct a hormone imbalance like yourself again. Keep checking out to find out more.
Read Also: How To Treat Hormonal Jawline Acne
Will Moody Bird Interfere With My Birth Control
If youâre taking birth control, we recommend talking to your doctor before starting Moody BirdÂ®. Moody BirdÂ® contains a natural herb called chasteberry that works with your body to help support a healthy hormone balance. And because certain types of birth control work to override your bodyâs process for balancing hormones, itâs best to avoid taking the two together without your doctorâs consent.
Do Menopause Supplements Really Work
All women who live long enough will enter menopause, and two-thirds of those women will experience uncomfortable symptoms related to menopause such as hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, and vaginal dryness.
Because of certain studies from the Womens Health Initiative that found that hormone replacement therapy carried an increased risk of breast cancer, coronary heart disease, and stroke, many women are reluctant to use HRT to relieve menopause symptoms. Instead, more and more women are turning to alternative treatments in the form of botanical dietary supplements to relieve their symptoms.
One study found that as much as 79% of women with a mean age of 50 years used these supplements to relieve their symptoms, and many of these women did report finding some relief. The good news with these supplements is that studies show that they genuinely can be useful, and the risks of side effects are low.
Two-thirds of women will experience uncomfortable symptoms related to menopause such as hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, and vaginal dryness. Hormone replacement therapy carries an increased risk of breast cancer, coronary heart disease, and stroke. Instead, more and more women are turning to botanical dietary supplements to relieve their symptoms. Menopause supplements contain botanicals that affect the hormones, and neurotransmitters.
You May Like: Can Hormones Affect Blood Pressure
What Is Hormone Imbalance
Hormone imbalance means having too little or too much of a hormone. Its normal for hormone levels to fluctuate at different times in your life, or even at different times of the month, says Abbas Kanani, pharmacist at Chemist Click.
Its normal for hormone levels to fluctuate at different times in your life and the month.
But a hormone imbalance is usually associated with levels that are unusually high or low, which can have a negative impact on certain aspects of your health. A hormone imbalance can affect your weight, sleep and mood.
Recommended Reading: Kyleena Vs Mirena Hormone Levels
Can Vitamins Help Hormonal Balance
The endocrine glands requires key micronutrients to create hormones and support them in carrying out their important work. If you have low thyroid, for example, then you may have deficiencies in iodine and selenium, two minerals required by the thyroid gland to make and use thyroid hormones.
Herbs and other natural compounds can also provide therapeutic support to correct hormonal imbalances. Ashwagandha, a traditional medicine and ingredient in our Herbal Equilibrium and Adaptisol formulas, is an adaptogenic herb prized for its ability to re-regulate high cortisol, an adrenal imbalance tied to chronic stress and anxiousness. If you are experiencing hormonal symptoms in perimenopause, a sign that estrogen and progesterone are not in the correct ratio, supplementing with herbs including wild yam, black cohosh and red clover extract can help restore balance to these two hormones and relieve perimenopause symptoms. These herbs are all found in our Herbal Equilibrium formula. To increase progesterone levels, you can use a bioidentical USP progesterone cream.
These are just a few examples. There are so many herbs, vitamins and minerals that can help with hormonal imbalances. Described in detail below, the best herb and vitamin supplements for natural hormonal balance include:
Don’t Miss: How To Test My Hormone Levels
Can Vitamins Help Hormonal Acne
Yes, vitamins can help hormonal acne by acting as antioxidants, reducing inflammation, and supporting healthy hormone balance. The best vitamins for acne are vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, and a B complex. You can find many of these nutrients in food, but taking supplements can ensure you’re getting enough.
Natural Ways To Balance Your Hormones
Hormones are chemical messengers that have profound effects on your mental, physical, and emotional health. For instance, they play a major role in controlling your appetite, weight, and mood.
Typically, your body produces the precise amount of each hormone needed for various processes to keep you healthy.
However, sedentary lifestyles and Western dietary patterns may affect your hormonal environment. In addition, levels of certain hormones decline with age, and some people experience a more dramatic decrease than others.
However, a nutritious diet and other healthy lifestyle habits may help improve your hormonal health and allow you to feel and perform your best.
Here are 10 natural ways to balance your hormones.
Also Check: Can You Cure Hormonal Acne
Don’t Miss: What Is The Dutch Hormone Test
Causes For Hormonal Imbalance In Women
- Chronic or extreme stress
- Type 1 and type 2 diabetes
- Hormone therapy
- Hormone drugs such as birth control pills
- Abuse of anabolic steroid medications
- Cancer treatments such as chemotherapy
- Tumors, whether cancerous or benign in the glands
- Cysts in these glands
- Eating disorders such as Anorexia
- Injury or trauma to the glands
- Diabetes insipidus
- Thyroid problems such as hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, hyperfunctioning thyroid nodules, and thyroiditis
- Hypogonadism shrunken or under-developed testes in men, ovaries in women
- Primary ovarian insufficiency, which is also known as premature menopause
- Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome or PCOS
- Blood sugar abnormalities such as hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia
- Cushings syndrome characterized by high levels of the hormone cortisol
- Addisons disease characterized by low levels of cortisol and aldosterone
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia, which causes low levels of cortisol and aldosterone
- Severe allergic reactions or infections
- Chemotherapy and radiation therapy
- Turner syndrome where the woman has only one functioning X chromosome
- Prader-Willi syndrome, a genetic disorder that causes obesity, intellectual disability and shortness in height
- Phytoestrogens which are naturally-occurring plant estrogens found in soy products
- Exposure to toxins, pollutants, and endocrine-disrupting chemicals such as pesticides and herbicides
Sex Steroid Signaling Mechanisms
Schematic representation of potential cellular mechanisms by which sex steroids influence rapid nongenomic signaling and modulation of gene transcription . Signaling can occur through surface receptor modulation of ion channels and transporters. At the nuclear levels, hormonebound receptors may compete for the same nuclear coregulators. Taken together, acute and sustained treatment of cells with sex steroid hormones have the potential to influence all aspects of cellular function directly through activation of ion channels, transporters and enzymes, and indirectly through genomic regulation for expression of enzymes, structural proteins, and membrane receptors. AR, androgen receptor Arom, aromatase DHEA, dehydroepiandrosterone E2 17 estradiol ER, estrogen receptor eNOS endothelial nitric oxide synthase GPR30, G proteincoupled estrogen receptor IGF1, insulinlike growth factor 1 mRNA, messenger ribonucleic acid NO, nitric oxide Rm, membrane receptor
You May Like: All Natural Thyroid Replacement Hormone
Do Otc Testosterone Boosters Really Work
At this point, its important to reiterate that testosterone replacement therapy involves medications that include testosterone hormone. In contrast, none of the over-the-counter drugs that claim to boost testosterone levels include testosterone. If these supplements do have an impact on hormone levels, its because theyre acting on secondary processes rather than supplying the body with exogenous testosterone.
As for whether or not these substances work, that depends on quite a few variables. The following substances have been researched in connection with testosterone and initial results indicate that they may have some impact on testosterone levels in the male body:
What Causes Hormonal Imbalances
Throughout your life and even throughout the day your hormone levels naturally rise and fall.
Certain periods of life cause more dramatic changes and fluctuations in hormones, including:
However, there are several other reasons why your hormone levels may be irregular at unexpected times. Some of the most common causes of fluctuating or imbalanced hormone levels include:
- Certain medications.
These hormonal imbalances are more likely to be temporary or fixable with a change in medication or properly managing stress.
Chronic hormone-related conditions can have several different possible causes. In general, the main conditions or situations that cause medically significant hormone imbalances include:
Tumors, adenomas and growths
Any kind of growth on a gland or organ that produces hormones, such as a tumor, adenoma or nodule, could affect its ability to do so.
Rare endocrine tumors form in glands or in cells that produce hormones and can cause hormone imbalances. Some of the rare endocrine tumors include:
An adenoma is a benign tumor. Many adenomas are nonfunctioning, meaning they dont produce hormones. But some can produce excess hormones. These are called functioning adenomas. Adenomas that affect your endocrine system and cause hormone imbalances include:
Damage or injury to an endocrine gland
You May Like: Sottopelle Hormone Pellet Therapy Reviews
How Long Will I Have To Take Hormone Replacement Therapy
Most women take hormone therapy for the shortest time possible and at the lowest dose. There is evidence that serious health risks such as blood clots, breast cancer, and stroke increase after five years of use. If you have personal or family history of these and other health risks, this will affect your decision regarding hormone replacement therapy.
You May Like: What Is The Best Over The Counter Testosterone Booster
Sex Steroids And Pharmacokinetic Interactions With Medications
There are several mechanisms by which sex hormones may interact with medications and their metabolic pathways, contributing to ADR .
Schematic representation of potential mechanisms through which sex steroid hormones can affect drug metabolism and actions leading to adverse drug reactions. The orange circles represent a medication and the blue circles represent a hormone that is competing with the medication. The purple symbol represents a transporter. The green symbol represents an enzyme. The blue symbol on the cell surface represents a receptor. The blue symbol interacting with the DNA represents a transcription factor
2.3.2. Competition for transporters
2.3.3. Competition and/or regulation of expression of drug metabolizing enzymes
The pregnane X receptor and constitutive androstane receptor regulate expression of cytochrome P450s, including CYP3A4, and other genes, and these receptors are activated by a variety of compounds, including steroid hormones.36 Hepatic CYP3A4 activity is known to be higher among women than men,37 although sex differences in the oral clearance of CYP3A4 substrates have not been consistently reported.38 Changes in enzyme expression associated with hormones will be described in more detail in the sections on pregnancy and hormonal contraception below.
2.3.4. Sex steroids and pharmacodynamic interactions with medications
Read Also: How To Reduce Hormonal Acne
Help With Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
Polycystic ovary syndrome , a common condition among teen girls and young women, is a hormone imbalance in which the ovaries make extra amounts of testosterone. It can cause irregular periods, unwanted hair growth, and acne. Taking birth control pills can improve these symptoms by balancing your hormones, lowering the level of testosterone, and regulating your period.
Balancing Your Hormone Levels
Along with taking vitamin supplements to help support your hormone cycles and offset some of the negative physical and mental symptoms of hormonal imbalances, there are other simple but effective things you can do to balance your hormone levels.
You can help regulate your hormone levels by:
- Drinking up to 2 litres of plain filtered water daily
- Being aware of the saturated and trans fats you are eating
- Reduce processed foods
- Getting adequate, good quality sleep
- Being aware of your stress triggers
- Avoiding under-eating or overeating by eating regularly and consciously
- Include omega 3- rich oily fish in your diet
- Include fibre-rich food in your disruptors diet such as whole wheat bread, peas, beans and pulses
- Eating sufficient protein such as eggs, fish, meat and nuts
Don’t Miss: Does Estrogen Cause Cancer To Grow
Fish Oil Hormone Balance
To supplement Omega-3 levels, look for a high quality fish oil that has been molecularly distilled, a process that removes any remaining heavy metals, pesticides, solvents, PCBs, and other contaminants. Molecularly distilled fish oils also concentrate amounts of critical Omega-3 fatty acids essential fatty acids eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid . Flaxseed oil is a good vegan source for Omega-3s, but be aware that flaxseed oil oxidizes quickly this is why you see it sold in the refrigerated section of the health food store in dark bottles. Fish oils are more stable, which helps to ensure that you are getting the correct dosage of Omega-3s.
The Best Supplements To Balance Female Hormones Naturally
Truly, I dont think I can emphasize enough how much more of an impact you can make if youre able to determine your unique nutrient deficiencies and hormonal imbalances and tailor a supplemental plan to your needs.
That being said, in general, these are the most common supplements I recommend to balance female hormones naturally.
Read Also: How To Treat Hormonal Teenage Acne
Recommended Reading: What Is The Maximum Dose Of Melatonin You Can Take