Questions To Ask Your Doctor
- How can I know which birth control pill is best for me?
- If I take progestin-only birth control pills, am I less likely to gain weight as a side effect?
- Is one birth control pill more effective than another at preventing pregnancy?
- Does one birth control pill have fewer side effects than another?
- Can I use birth control pills to skip having a period altogether?
What Causes High Estrogen
Having too much estrogen is probably more common than having too little estrogen .
High estrogen levels are quite common in many patients simply due to the biochemistry of the body.
As women gain weight several factors occur that lead to high estrogen:
1. Weight gain contributes to insulin resistance which causes further weight gain.
2. Insulin resistance causes high androgens and high testosterone .
3. High levels of testosterone can be converted into estrogens through aromatization.
4. Weight gain reduces thyroid function leading to reduced circulating thyroid hormone contributing to low progesterone and thus higher estrogen levels.
This process occurs as a result of weight gain, but these steps can happen whether you are overweight or not.
As a result, many women have a higher than normal estrogen level and a condition known as estrogen dominance .
Aside from these very common hormonal changes, other factors can increase estrogen levels like the standard American diet, a diet high in soy-based foods, exposure to chemical xenoestrogens and even high levels of stress.
This constellation of conditions and syndromes usually occurs in pre-menopausal women , but even menopausal women can have more estrogen than they need due to excess weight gain.
Excess weight after menopause can act as a reservoir for estrone production through the fat cells.
So women can end up with higher than normal estrogen levels before and after menopause.
Causes of high estrogen levels in women:
Side Effects And Risks
Different women undergo different hormone replacement therapies that are customized for their needs. During the treatment, most patients experience mild side effects, such as:
- Breakthrough bleeding
- Breast tenderness
These symptoms typically go away as the bodys progestogen, progestin, and estrogen levels return to normal. But if the symptoms persist, its better to call the doctor to make necessary adjustments to the treatment.
As effective as they are in relieving painful symptoms and reducing the risk of some health conditions, HRT also increases a patients risk of developing other diseases, such as:
- Deep Vein Thrombosis Blood clots might form inside the veins during HRT. The risk increases for patients who take oral HRT instead of patches or topical creams. Patients who combine progestogen with oestrogen also experience an increased risk of blood clots.
- Heart Disease and Stroke Women in their 60s who are taking combined HRT have an increased risk of developing heart disease or stroke. On the other hand, women who take HRT around the normal time of their menopause experience a lower risk of developing these conditions.
- Breast Cancer Breast cancer risk is higher for patients who take combined HRT instead of estrogen alone. Women over 50 years old who have been using HRT for less than five years have a significantly lower risk of developing breast cancer.
Recommended Reading: Can Having Your Tubes Tied Cause Hormonal Imbalance
What Are The Dosages Of Estradiol
Dosages of Estradiol:
Dosage Considerations â Should be Given as Follows:
- Pediatric: Safety and efficacy not established
- Estrace: 1-2 mg orally once daily for 3 weeks, followed by 1 week off
- Valerate: 10-20 mg intramuscularly every 4 weeks
- EstroGel: 1.25 g/day 3 weeks on, 1 week off
- Alora, Climara Vivelle-Dot, Estraderm: Use transdermally and follow product-specific directions
- Prevention of osteoporosis: 0.5 mg orally once daily for 3 weeks, followed by 1 week off
- Metastatic breast cancer: 10 mg orally every 8 hours for 3 months
- Prostate cancer: 1-2 mg orally every 8 hours for 3 months or more
- Oral : 1-2 mg orally once/day titrate to use minimal effective dose
- Transdermal : Use transdermally and follow product-specific directions
- Valerate: 10-20 mg intramuscularly every 4 weeks
- Cypionate: 1.5-2 mg intramuscularly every 4 weeks
- Oral : 0.5 mg/day for 23 days of 28-day cycle used in clinical studies
- Transdermal : Follow product specific directions
Vasomotor Symptoms Associated with Menopause
- Estrace: 1-2 mg orally three times daily
- Valerate: 30 mg intramuscularly or more every 1-2 weeks
What Is Known About Hormone Therapy And The Risk Of Breast Cancer
Taking combined hormone therapy can increase your risk of developing breast cancer. Here are some important findings:
- Taking combination hormone therapy showed a rare increase of absolute risk of less than one additional case of breast cancer per 1000 person years of use.
- There was a nonsignificant reduction in breast cancer seen in women with hysterectomies on estrogen only therapy.
- If youve been diagnosed with breast cancer you should not take systemic hormone therapy.
Why Does Your Estrogen Level Matter
Estrogen is a hormone. Although present in the body in small amounts, hormones have big roles in maintaining your health.
Estrogen is commonly associated with the female body. Men also produce estrogen, but women produce it in higher levels.
The hormone estrogen:
- is responsible for the sexual development of girls when they reach puberty
- controls the growth of the uterine lining during the menstrual cycle and at the beginning of a pregnancy
- causes breast changes in teenagers and women who are pregnant
- is involved in bone and cholesterol metabolism
- regulates food intake, body weight, glucose metabolism, and insulin sensitivity
Girls who havent reached puberty and women approaching menopause are most likely to experience low estrogen. Still, women of all ages can develop low estrogen.
Common symptoms of low estrogen include:
What Are The Best Vitamins To Take For Hormonal Imbalance
Vitamin C and vitamin B6 are the most effective vitamins for hormonal imbalance. Vitamin C helps regulate many hormones, thus adjusting estrogen deficiency, reducing adrenaline levels, and controlling inflammation. Vitamin B6 helps with energy production in the body by producing the serotonin and norepinephrine hormones.
Don’t Miss: Can I Give My Cat Melatonin
What Are Warnings And Precautions For Estradiol
- Known anaphylactic reaction or angioedema with topical emulsion
- Known protein C, protein S, or antithrombin deficiency or other known thrombophilic disorder
- Active or previous breast cancer
- Uncontrolled hypertension, diabetes mellitus with vascular involvement, jaundice with previous oral contraceptive use
- Undiagnosed abnormal vaginal bleeding
- See “What Are Side Effects Associated with Using Estradiol?”
- Increased risk of oral contraceptive use however human papillomavirus remains main risk factor for this cancer evidence suggests long-term use of OCs may be associated with increased risk.
- Increased risk of liver cancer with OC use risk increases with longer duration of use
- An increased risk of invasive breast cancer reported with estrogen plus progestin in WHI sub-study estrogens with or without progestins should be prescribed at lowest doses and for shortest duration
- See “What Are Side Effects Associated with Using Estradiol?”
- Do not use estradiol in pregnancy
- The risks involved outweigh potential benefits
- Safer alternatives exist
The 10 Best Hormone Balance Supplements In 2021
Cant sleep? Mood swings? Cramps? Annoying headaches?
Blame it on the hormones!
We throw the word hormones around to explain just about anything. But few know how vital they are to the proper functioning of our organ tissues. Basically, all organs need hormones to survive.
Hormones are produced and released by endocrine glands. Even slight fluctuations in this process can lead to a hormonal imbalance.
This can happen because of malnutrition, stress, or anything that throws your endocrine glands off… and queue feeling irritated at every little thing your coworkers do all day.
The good news is that you can successfully treat light cases of hormonal imbalance by taking hormone balance supplements.
There are plenty of options out there, but weve scraped the internet and gathered the very best hormone balance supplements for you to try.
Without further ado, lets get to it.
Don’t Miss: Nugenix Estro-regulator Reviews
How To Use Premarin
If you are taking the extended-release tablets, do not crush, chew, or dissolve them. Doing so can release all of the drug at once, increasing the risk of side effects. Also, do not split extended-release tablets unless they have a score line and your doctor or pharmacist tells you to do so. Swallow the whole or split tablet without crushing or chewing.
The dosage is based on your medical condition and response to treatment.
Take this medication regularly to get the most benefit from it. To help you remember, take it at the same time each day as directed. Follow your dosing schedule carefully. Do not increase your dose or take this medication more often or for a longer time than directed.
Tell your doctor if your condition does not improve or if it worsens.
Man Sports Nolvadren Xt
MAN Sports Nolvadren XT provides an unusual take on estrogen blocking. It uses diindolylmethane to block estrogen, which is standard practice, but it uses some unconventional compounds to boost testosterone and to control cortisol levels as well.
This is great to see, because as important as testosterone and estrogen are, cortisol is an underappreciated factor when it comes to muscle gains and energy levels.
The testosterone booster and the cortisol blockers are advanced metabolites, and you wont find them anywhere else. If standard estrogen blockers arent cutting it, give Nolvadren XT a try.
May Play A Role In Fighting Depression
The relationship between DHEA and depression is complex.
Some research in women nearing menopause showed that women with depression had higher levels of this hormone than those without depression (
Some researchers even caution against the use of it, as higher levels of DHEA in the body have been associated with increased symptoms of depression in middle-aged women .
Overall, more information is needed before DHEA can be recommended for treating depression.
Summary: There may be a relationship between DHEA levels in the body and depression. Taking it to combat depression is not recommended until more information is available.
How Breast Enhancement Pills Work
There are two basic types of breast enhancement pills: those that use plant-based ingredients and those that use animal-based ingredients designed to achieve the result. Obviously this is a major consideration for many women, and should be kept in mind as you look for the best breast enhancement pills. Both types of pills work in very similar ways to increase breast size.
To have a clear understanding of how breast pills work naturally we have to see how breast enlargement works without the use of pills. Two hormones, HGH and prolactin, are required for any breast development. A lack of the growth hormone or an estrogen receptor hormone limits development and growth. The complete biological process is very complex and can be studied elsewhere. For our purposes, the presence of these three hormones are at the heart of the success of breast growth pills.
Increasing the amount of HGH and prolactin in your body will enhance the bodys processes, assisting in natural breast enlargement.
Recommended Reading: Does Estrogen Cream Help Lichen Sclerosus
Supplements To Help Increase Estrogen And Help Women In Menopause
While many women suffer from too much estrogen, there are still many women who suffer from not enough estrogen.
This usually occurs in patients post-menopause who start to see the signs of low estrogen on their body.
Increased aging of the skin, increased pain during intercourse, increased risk of urinary tract infection and so on.
Many women even suffer from the more debilitating symptoms of having low estrogen such as insomnia, hot flashes, and depression that can really impact quality of life.
Using these supplements can act as a buffer to help balance estrogen levels either directly or indirectly.
While these supplements may potentially help women with low estrogen, they will not necessarily work for everyone.
In some cases, women may benefit from the use of bio-identical estrogen compounding with both estradiol and estriol.
These supplements should act as a first line therapy though due to their low-risk profiles and ease of use.
If, however, they do not work within 3-6 months it may be worth pursuing prescription options.
Flaxseed does NOT appear to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease, however, and that should be considered if you are at high risk or have a family history of heart disease.
How to Supplement with Flaxseed
How to Use
My Recommended Brand and Product:
#2. Black Cohosh
Black cohosh is another supplement that has been shown in clinical studies to help reduce the symptoms and severity of menopause .
How to Use
Reasons For Low Estrogen
There are times when your estrogen levels fluctuate, such as during your period or when youre pregnant. But as you get older and approach menopause, your estrogen levels decline. For some, it happens earlier. Any condition that impairs the ovaries can reduce estrogen production.
Low estrogen levels can have a serious impact on your life. Fortunately, there are ways to replenish your estrogen supply so you dont have to suffer from the many life-altering symptoms.
Recommended Reading: Does Nugenix Have An Estrogen Blocker
What Is Known About Hormone Therapy And The Risk Of Heart Disease
Scientists continue to learn about the effects of HT on the heart and blood vessels. Many large clinical trials have attempted to answer questions about HT and heart disease. Some have shown positive effects in women who started HT within 10 years of menopause some have shown negative effects when started greater than 10 years of menopause. Some studies have raised more questions about the potential benefits of HT.
Based on the data, the American Heart Association issued a statement for use of HT. They say:
- Hormone therapy for the sole purpose of preventing heart disease is not recommended.
Symptoms Of High Estrogen In Men
Men have to go through some embarrassing and life-wrecking symptoms after having high levels of estrogen which are:
Gynecomastia:One of the awkward male conditions where the levels of estrogen are so high they develop breast-like tissues on a male chest. This abnormal growth of breast fat tissues is obnoxious-looking as well as dangerous.
Infertility:High levels of estrogen in men leads to decreased sperm production which is everything men needs for having perfect sexual intercourse. This means the rate at which you usually become sexually active will be stretched to a long time.
ED :Estrogen in high levels also affects the penile erection in men. This commonly occurs in low testosterone levels.
Low HGH Levels:This leads to a slow growth rate that might be causing delayed puberty.
Other symptoms of high estrogen in men are over-exhaustion, reduced sex drive, and sperm count, muscle mass loss, hair loss, hot flashes, and loss of bone density. It is also stated that high estrogen could affect mens ability to concentrate and focus.
Recommended Reading: Does Blue Cross Blue Shield Cover Testosterone
Hormone Therapy For Breast Cancer
Some types of breast cancer are affected by hormones, like estrogen and progesterone. The breast cancer cells have receptors that attach to estrogen and progesterone, which helps them grow. Treatments that stop these hormones from attaching to these receptors are called hormone or endocrine therapy.
Hormone therapy can reach cancer cells almost anywhere in the body and not just in the breast. It’s recommended for women with tumors that are hormone receptor-positive. It does not help women whose tumors don’t have hormone receptors.
Low Estrogen Levels And Weight Gain: Is There A Connection
Sex hormones, such as estrogen, influence the amount of fat in the body. Estrogen regulates glucose and lipid metabolism. If your estrogen levels are low, it can result in weight gain.
If your estrogen levels are low and its affecting your weight, speak with your doctor. They can assess your symptoms and advise you on next steps. Its always a good idea to try to eat a balanced diet and exercise as often as possible. Talk with your doctor about developing a diet and exercise plan thats right for you.
Read Also: Nugenix Estro-regulator Review
Path To Improved Health
This pill works in three different ways. First, it thickens the mucus between your uterus and your vagina, the tube leading to the uterus. Sperm have a hard time getting through the thick mucus to reach the egg.
Second, like regular birth control pills, the progestin-only pill makes your body think youre pregnant and stops your ovary from releasing an egg. This doesnt happen as often as with combination birth control pills. Forty percent of women taking the progestin-only pill will continue to ovulate.
Third, the mini-pill causes changes in your uterus that make it less likely to let a pregnancy get started, even if an egg is released.
Who Should Buy An Estrogen Blocker
Estrogen blockers are popular among athletes, bodybuilders, and men looking to maximize their testosterone levels. Estrogen, a female sex hormone, directly counteracts many of the effects of male sex hormones: it lowers metabolism, increases body fat, and makes it more difficult to add muscle massnot to mention significantly diminishing male sex drive.
If you are looking to keep your testosterone and growth hormone levels high, and your estrogen levels low, an estrogen blocker is a smart choice. High estrogen levels are associated with obesity, low sex drive, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease.
The excess body fat that comes along with higher estrogen levels is a real problem because fat cells actually produce estrogen: the more fat you have, the more endogenous estrogen your body produces. If you are overweight or obese, and finding that you have many of the symptoms of low testosterone and high estrogen, your fat cells might be part of the problem.
An estrogen blocker could be a way to counteract this problem. Estrogen blockers are far more common among strength and power athletes, though, who are looking to squeeze out every last drop of performance.
While an estrogen blocker alone wont guarantee better performances, it fits in well to a supplementation routine that also contains testosterone boosters, protein shakes, and post-workout supplements if you are trying to maximize physical performance.