Vitamin K2 Metabolises Estrogen
Vitamin K2 is a curious vitamin. Research is still ongoing but we so far know that it provides a significant boost for vitamin D production, which, in turn, maintains bone and cardiovascular health.
When taken as a vitamin for hormone balance, however, vitamin K2 is the right solution if youre looking to decrease estrogen dominance.
Studies show that vitamin K2 binds to the estrogen and androgen-converting enzyme 17 beta-HSD, which modulates estrogen metabolism. When estrogen is properly metabolized, less of the hormone remains in the body.
Furthermore, the process inhibits the overproduction of estrogen, which not only lowers the effects of high estrogen in men and women, but is also a potent support in fighting estrogen-related breast cancer.
What Are The Advantages Of Keeping Hormone Balance What Supplements Help Regulate Hormones
There are a lot of advantages to keeping hormonal balance, especially as we grow older. Here are some of the most crucial ones:
Maintaining hormonal balance is essential for our general health and wellness. If youre worried about your levels, speak with your doctor about ways to keep them in check.
Tips For Lowering Estrogen Levels
To lower estrogen, Dr. Steelsmith recommends exercise. Work out, sweat, and move every day to help your liver do its job of detoxifying your body, including estrogen, she explains. In addition, choose foods that help the liver break down estrogen these would be cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts. These veggies contain compounds like indole-3-carbinol that convert unfriendly forms of estrogen into friendly forms.
Consider boosting your liver function with beets and dandelion tea and it has the bonus as a slight diuretic that helps with bloating, says Dr. Steelsmith.
Shes also a fan of vitamin B6, since it helps the liver break down estrogen, acts as a natural diuretic, and can enhance mood by activating feel good brain chemicalssuch as serotonin.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Higher Estrogen
Estrolibrium Estrogen Pills For Women
- EstroLibrium Estrogen Pills for Women is a female hormone balance and menopause relief supplement to form a potent female hormone support complex.
- New ultra potent phytoestrogen support to help balance estrogen levels to provide natural relief from menopause symptoms.
- EstroLibrium can help improve the times in a womans life when her estrogen levels are out of balance.
Check Latest Price
EstroLibrium Estrogen Pills for Women is a female hormone balance and menopause relief supplement to form a potent female hormone support complex. New ultra potent phytoestrogen support to help balance estrogen levels to provide natural relief from menopause symptoms EstroLibriums formula can help increase estrogen levels in both women and men.
Men should only take this product if they are desiring an increase in estrogen. EstroLibrium can help improve the times in a womans life when her estrogen levels are out of balance.
|2.5 x 2.5 x 3 inches 2.1 Ounces|
Reviews From Real Customers
This product has brought back my energy like you wouldnt believe. My periods have stopped and my energy level seemed to plummet. I figured it was just normal and I wouldnt be able to work in my garden like I used to which was very depressing but these supplements are a life saver.
Ive ordered my 2nd bottle and plan to take it as long as its available. Im very grateful for this product.
The Top 5 Supplements To Balance Hormones
Hormones act as the bodys chemical messengers, transmitting information through the blood to the organs, skin, muscles, and other tissues. They are vital for several bodily processes, from reproductive health to mood, metabolism, and more. Since hormones essentially tell your body what to do in order to stay healthy, it is important that they function effectively. However, sometimes the body produces too much or too little of a certain hormone in your bloodstream, which results in a hormonal imbalance. This can happen due to certain medical conditions, excess stress, birth control, aging, and other lifestyle factors. Hormonal imbalances are also becoming increasingly common due to higher rates of obesity and chronic stress. In fact, an estimated 80% of women suffer from a hormonal imbalance.
In women, hormonal imbalances can lead to distressing physical symptoms such as fatigue, irregular periods, weight gain, acne, and so on. Whats more, a hormonal imbalance can also impact your mental health, resulting in mood swings, anxiety, depression, and insomnia. Therefore, if you suspect you may be suffering from a hormonal imbalance, it is important to take the necessary steps to correct the issue, whether naturally or by seeing a physician.
As a starting point, continue reading to discover the top supplements to balance hormones naturally.
Recommended Reading: Hormonal Test For Irregular Periods
Herbal And Alternative Medicine:
I love using herbal formulations with my patients in order to provide safe and effective relief for their symptoms. Herbals are a gentle way to treat for many symptoms such as hot flashes, painful periods, unpredictable periods, hormonal acne, fertility, sleep, and more! Here are some common herbal supplements to balance hormones and combat these unwanted issues
Unfortunately, there are so many wonderful herbal supplements to balance hormones that I cannot possibly mention them all. It is also important to know that there is more to herbs that simply checking what health issues they are indicated for. They also have synergistic properties, which means that some herbs work better together! A naturopathic doctor can come up with a herbal formula that is dosed safely and appropriately for your individualized health history and concerns. There are also pre-made supplements on the market which are formulated for hormone balance. My trustworthy brands in this category include Vitanica and Femenessence.
Foods And Beverages To Avoid For Hormonal Balance
- There is evidence linking improved fertility in PCOS patients who have given up dairy from their diet Gluck, M. and Edgson, V. . It Must Be My Hormones. Camberwell, Vic.: Penguin Group , p. 145.
- Dairy products can contain both hormones and growth factors which have the potential to impact your own hormone levels, especially estrogen
Gluten intolerance can cause an imbalance in sex hormones:
- Gluten intolerance can cause an imbalance in estrogen levels Gottfried, S. . The Hormone Cure. New York, NY: Scribner, p. 185.
- Several reports in the medical literature show that for women who are sensitive to gluten and suffering from either amenorrhea or diminished ovarian reserve, going gluten-free can reverse these conditions Gottfried, S. . The Hormone Cure. New York, NY: Scribner, p. 186.
- Can increase estrogen levels
- Can be full of hormones which disrupt your own hormonal balance
- If you do eat red meat make sure its grass fed, organic and without additional hormones Gluck, M. and Edgson, V. . It Must Be My Hormones. London: Penguin, p. 145., Gottfried, S. . The Hormone Cure. New York: Scribner, p. 164.
Also Check: Can You Test Estrogen Levels
Womens Health Supplements For Better Bone Health
Be sure to also supplement your diet and exercise regime with the right supplements. Here are some of the best bone supplements for osteoporosis prevention and overall bone health:
- Magnesium Citrate: Magnesium citrate is a mineral that promotes healthy bones, teeth, and muscles. It helps transport calcium across our cell membranes, playing a vital role in building and maintaining bone mass.
- Calcium Magnesium Zinc D3: Calcium Magnesium Zinc D3 is a trio of minerals created to support bone health and muscle and nerve function.
- Boswellia Extract: Known as Indian Frankincense, Boswellia extract is an herbal extract with a long history of therapeutic benefits. It carries a notable anti-inflammatory response that helps with joint mobility, muscle health, and pain. Those who have osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis found Boswellia extract useful in their treatment plan.
- Bromelain: Bromelain is an enzyme extracted from the stem and body of a pineapple. Studies indicate those with OA can potentially find relief with Bromelain. Bromelain supplements can be taken for joint comfort and stress.
Feel free to look into Superior Labs bone support page for more supplements for osteoporosis and bone health.
Final Thoughts On Using Supplements To Balance Hormones
Supplements are a viable option when treating hormonal conditions and non-specific symptoms of an endocrine disorder. While research shows that they may be particularly beneficial for PMS, menopause, and PCOS, their benefits likely extend beyond these to other types of hormonal imbalances.
We see that many of the above supplements provide the best results when used in combination, such as in our hormone balancing formulas, Estro-Harmony and Progest-Harmony. These formulas can help improve hormone levels and non-specific symptoms in a variety of conditions, and are approved for use in both cycling and menopausal women.
For more help on how to balance your hormones and improve your lifestyle, reach out to our clinic at the Ruscio Institute for Functional Medicine for an appointment. You can also learn how to regulate your hormones by healing your gut in my book, Healthy Gut, Healthy You.
The Ruscio Institute has developed a range of high-quality formulations, including Progest-Harmonyand Estro-Harmony, to help our patients and audience. If youre interested in learning more about these products, please click here. Note that there are many other options available, and we encourage you to research which products may be right for you.
Also Check: What Vitamin Helps Increase Estrogen
Whats The Best Hormone Balance Supplement For Women
The raspberry leaf is widely used by women due its health benefits.
Its mainly used for its uterine therapeutic effects, but it also helps women by increasing fertility, preventing miscarriage, decreasing heavy menstrual flow, easing pregnancy nausea, and relieving menstrual cramps.
Due to its healing powers, tablets of raspberry leaf have also become available.
Supplement To Fill Nutritional Voids
While a healthy diet is key for all aspects of health, its sometimes necessary to supplement in order to fill nutritional voids that can be leading to a hormone imbalance.
Here are the top supplements to focus on in order to balance hormones:
Evening Primrose Oil
Evening primrose oil contains omega-6 fatty acids, such as GLA, that support overall hormonal function. Supplementing with evening primrose oil can help relieve premenstrual and PCOS symptoms. It also helps to create a healthy environment for conception.
What is the best vitamins to take for hormonal imbalance? Vitamin D is definitely one of them, since it almost acts like a hormone inside the body and has important implications for keeping inflammation levels low.
This is why people who live in dark areas often suffer from seasonal depression and other health problems unless they supplement with vitamin D. Sunshine is really the best way to optimize vitamin D levels because your bare skin actually makes vitamin D on its own when exposed to even small amounts of direct sunlight.
Most people should supplement with around 2,0005,000 international units daily of vitamin D3 if they live in dark areas, during the winter and on days when theyre not in the sun.
Probiotics are healthy bacteria that can actually improve your production and regulation of key hormones like insulin, ghrelin and leptin. They can also aid in repairing your gut lining, which in turn can balance your hormones.
Don’t Miss: Natural Ways To Balance Hormones
Reduced Symptoms Of Menopause
A decline in estrogen levels characterizes menopause. This can lead to various symptoms, including hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, and vaginal dryness.
Hormone balance supplements can help reduce these symptoms by providing the body with its nutrients. They can also help regulate hormone levels and restore balance to your system.
Work On Your Stress Levels
In women, sex hormones, like progesterone, testosterone, and estrogen, are made in the adrenal glands. These hormones often become depleted during periods of chronic stress, in order for the body to increase cortisol levels .
Additionally, stress affects our hormones further upstream by disrupting the pituitary gland or master gland of the endocrine system. The pituitary gland controls the creation and release of many hormones, and a dysregulation of this system can offset normal hormone production .
Over time, chronic stress can create symptoms of a hormonal imbalance and potentially lead to an endocrine disorder. Common stressors include:
- Work, relationship, and personal life issues
- Blood sugar fluctuations
- Chronic inflammation
Fortunately, there are several things you can do to reduce your stress levels. Cognitive behavioral therapy and coping-skills training can both reduce stress and symptoms of hormonal disorders . Meditation, yoga, deep-breathing exercises, and other forms of mindfulness are all effective at reducing overall stress levels.
Eating a balanced diet to control blood sugar levels, healing the gut, and lessening your inflammatory burden on the body are all ways in which you can reduce your overall stress load.
You May Like: Doctor For Female Hormone Imbalance
Avoid Refined Carbohydrates To Balance Your Hormones
Consuming refined carbohydrates on a regular basis causes hormone imbalances. Sources include white bread, pasta, pastries, cakes, cookies, white rice etc.
Imbalance in blood sugar and insulin
- Through processing, refined carbohydrates have been turned from complex carbohydrates to simple ones which are essentially pre-digested
- They are fast-releasing sources of energy and have a high glycemic load prompting a rapid increase in blood sugar which usually leads to a subsequent rapid fall in blood sugar Holford, P. . Patrick Holfords New Optimum Nutrition Bible. London: Piatkus, p. 19.
- The process of refining carbohydrates reduces 90% of the minerals and vitamins Holford, P. . Patrick Holfords New Optimum Nutrition Bible. London: Piatkus, p. 19., of which chromium, which is essential to balancing blood sugar Amen, D. . Unleash The Power Of The Female Brain. New York: Harmony Books, p. 134.
- High levels of sugar increase serum insulin and IGF-1, both of which raise androgens and cause excess-androgen symptoms Gottfried, S. . The Hormone Cure. New York, NY: Scribner, p. 224.
Sex hormone imbalance
- Refined carbohydrates strengthen bad bacteria and reduce good bacteria
- Healthy bacterial balance is essential for healthy estrogen metabolism Amen, D. . Unleash The Power Of The Female Brain. New York: Harmony Books, p. 97.
Choose Dark Chocolate For Magnesium And Other Health Benefits
Last but certainly not least dark chocolate makes our magnesium-rich list of foods! According to a study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, dark chocolate even contains prebiotic fiber, perfect for supporting gut health.
Its also rich in antioxidants, as well as the minerals copper, manganese, and iron. Yes, dark chocolate can be a gals best friend!
Don’t Miss: What Are The Symptoms Of Male Hormone Imbalance
Vitamin B3 Aids Stress
The B-vitamins are an essential group of vitamins for hormone balance. You can take these vitamins to address stress and mood changes related to both PMS and menopause. This kind of stress can trigger tension, anxiety, irritability, and poor concentration.
While it relieves menopausal stress, vitamin B3 can also smooth the transition between estrogen production in the ovaries to estrogen production in the adrenal glands and fat cells instead.
These are both post-menopause estrogen production sites and B3 helps stabilize estrogen production there once your ovaries stop producing it.
Pro-Tip: Along with B3, consider supplementing with folic acid if youre of reproductive age. This vitamin can help prevent birth defects as well as boost a womans fertility.
Swap Carbs For Healthy Fats
Foods that balance hormones include a variety of fat-containing foods that provide short-, medium- and long-chain fatty acids. Your body needs various types of fats to create hormones, including saturated fat and cholesterol.
Not only are these essential fats fundamental building blocks for hormone production, but they keep inflammation levels low, boost your metabolism and promote weight loss.
Healthy fats have the opposite effect of refined carbohydrates, which lead to inflammation and can mess with the balance of your hormones.
My four favorite sources of anti-inflammatory, healthy fats include coconut oil, avocados, grass-fed butter and wild-caught salmon.
- Coconut oil uses are plentiful. For example, coconut oil has natural antibacterial and fat-burning effects.
- Avocado benefits include improving heart health, lowering inflammation, controlling your appetite, and contributing to your daily intake of fiber and nutrients, such as potassium.
- Salmon nutrition is also impressive. Its one of the best sources of omega-3 fatty acids, which are known to lower inflammation and help with cognitive functions. Omega-3 fatty acids are a large component of brain-cell membranes and are important for cell-to-cell communication in the brain. Research shows that omega-3 fatty acids help protect against hippocampal neuronal loss and reduce pro-inflammatory responses.
Read Also: How Much Melatonin For 13 Year Old
What Are Signs Of A Hormonal Imbalance
Symptoms can vary from person to person, but here are some of the most common signs of a hormonal imbalance associated with perimenopause and menopause.
Signs of Perimenopause
Perimenopause usually begins in your 40s, though some may experience it in their 30s. As your body adapts to different levels of hormones, you can start to see and feel physical changes.
Here are the common signs of perimenopause:
- Periods stop being predictable.Periods might become shorter, longer, heavier, or lighter than usual. The timeframe between periods may also change.
- Hot flashes.Hot flashes can be mild to severe . They usually begin quickly, lasting from one to five minutes, and occur in the upper body.
- Night sweats.The changing levels of estrogen and other hormones may trigger a wave of heat throughout the body that causes sweating and reddening the skin.
- Sleep problems. Roughly 40 percent of perimenopausal women experience sleep issues such as insomnia.
- Mood changes.Hormonal imbalances can take a toll on your mood. Some women feel more depressed, anxious, stressed, and irritated than usual.
- Urinary problems.UTIs and decreased bladder control are common.
- Vaginal dryness.Declining estrogen levels can cause vaginal tissue to become thinner and drier. Women may feel irritation in the vaginal area and pain during intercourse.
Signs of Menopause
- Low libido. Vaginal irritation can cause discomfort during intercourse, which may alter your feelings towards sex.