Are B Vitamins Useful For Treating Acne
Consuming a healthy diet is getting more difficult for everyone lately. So taking supplements to fill in the nutritional gap is a good idea. Today, my focus is on B vitamins because those formulas are very useful to people, not only for energy, but also to control nerve pain and to help beautify the hair, skin and nails. The B vitamins are so important for your life, and unfortunately, they are so terribly misunderstood. Whats worse, millions of people are buying supplements of B complex that do not contain any active ingredients whatsoever! So today Im simply sharing what I know about B vitamins.
Most of you associate biotin as the beauty B vitamin, and that is true, however its not alone in its ability to support attractiveness. We know that a vitamin B12 deficiency can cause anemia, and therefore also lead to hair loss, pale skin and brittle nails. If you have bluish-black or dark-colored streaks on your fingernails, it might be a sign of B12 deficiency. This condition is reversible with B12 supplementation. But B12 will not work without enough biotin in your body. See the image below and Ill tell you more in a minute. When vitamin B12 levels are low, your hair follicles may not be able to grow new hair as efficiently, resulting in hair loss. Finally, a deficiency in natural folate can also change the color of your nails and make them rigid and crack.
But I mentioned biotin for more youthful, clear skin and thicker hair.
It doesnt do much without biotin!
What Are The Side Effects Of Taking Too Much Vitamin B3
- Nausea and vomiting
- Flu-like symptoms
Choosing Your Vitamin B3 Dose for Acne Can Be a Personal Decision
Most people like to take a lower dosage of B3 at around 100 mgs or less because the flushing effect can be bothersome at higher doses.
The higher end of the dosing that people take is 500 mgs per pill and usually only taking one pill per day at that dose. Because there are some risks with megadosing it is uncommon to take large doses unless a doctor prescribes this dose.
Even when doctors do prescribe mega doses it is not for pimple management and is instead used for helping addicts come off alcohol or other drugs.
What Do Studies Say About B3 and Its Effect on Acne?
While B3 is not widely studied there is some evidence from some studies showing that more research could be warranted as preliminary results show the vitamin has some positive effects on acne when used both topically and orally.
How Can Vitamins And Supplements Help With Acne
1. Provide an anti-inflammatory effect, reducing skin redness.2. Work as , counteracting the skin damage caused by environmental toxins.3. Contain stress-relieving ingredients. Less stress can lead to less acne.4. Help reduce hormonal acne by improving hormonal imbalances5. Help improve the skin’s immune system6. Enhance the skin’s healing process, resulting in less acne scarring.7. Help with glucose metabolism, reducing glucose spikes leading to fewer acne 8. They work just as effectively for areas that are hard to reach with topical treatments .
Recommended Reading: What Is Male Hormone Replacement Therapy
Other Natural Hormonal Acne Treatment
Diet is just one of many lifestyle factors that can trigger hormonal acne. If eating anti-inflammatory foods and reducing stress dont help, consider these gentle options:
- Check your cleanser. Skip the exfoliators and gently cleanse your face with a pH-balanced soap each morning and night.
- Try green tea. In a small 2016 study, taking green tea extract helped women with acne reduce the number of zits at any given time.
- Pop some vitamin D. Vitamin D deficiency has been linked to acne, but you should still chat with your doc before adding a supplement to your daily routine.
- Take zinc. This mineral is essential for healthy skin. Some people report banishing breakouts with zinc.
- Try probiotics.Preliminary research suggests that probiotics can soothe skin inflammation.
- Go for chasteberry. This plant is known to influence hormones before your flow, so it *might* help with hormonal acne.
- Cash in on CBD.CBD face creams might calm your skin and help with breakouts.
- Try topicals.Tea tree oil, benzoyl peroxide, and salicylic acid are all known to help zap zits.
How Do Hormones Affect The Skin
Each hormone in the human body has a specific function. Sex hormones control the development of sexual organs and all reproductive processes. These same hormones impact muscle mass, bone density, sebum production, and growth of body hair. Cortisol regulates the bodys fight or flight process and can affect weight gain. Thyroid hormones regulate metabolism, muscle control, mood, and brain development. When hormone levels are not in balance, the skin is often the first part of the body to show signs that something is off.
Don’t Miss: What Works Better Than Melatonin
Best Supplements For Hormonal Acne
Why to use
While zinc supplements do not work for all acne sufferers, it has been noticed that most people suffering from acne are deficient in zinc. As soon as they start supplementing for the zinc deficiency in their body, the acne starts disappearing.
Zinc is responsible for carrying Vitamin A to your skin and also helps in regulating the hormonal balance.
How to use
- Supplementing your body with 10-15 mg of zinc per day is ideal. The dosage must be discussed with your doctor before intake.
- Alternatively, one can also include zinc-rich foods in the regular diet like oysters, crab, grass-fed beef, lamb and pumpkin seeds.
You May Like: Can Having Your Tubes Tied Cause Hormonal Imbalance
The Supplement: Evening Primrose Oil
If your acne is typically of the painful, cystic type , evening primrose is your ideal aid. This is a great source of omega-6 and GLAanother fatty acid, which has anti-inflammatory properties and helps sooth and strengthen the skin barrier, says Crysler. It also helps with healing lesions and redness. The oil is also said to help relieve PMS symptoms. Win-win?
Read Also: Which Hormones Make You Look Younger
Other Ways To Balance Your Hormones
Besides vitamins for hormone balance, you can also use some other natural strategies to achieve the same effect. Consider making a few long-term lifestyle changes that include:
- Regular exercise. Choose high-intensity interval training circuits to boost your metabolism and yoga to soothe your stress.
- A hormone balance diet, including foods like organic tempeh, wild-caught salmon, bell peppers, and veggies like broccoli and bok choy.
- Use essential oils that can help balance your hormone levels.
- Stay away from stimulants like caffeine for a while, especially as you get your hormones back into balance. Instead, opt for natural energy boosters like Pick Me Up, a herbal formula designed to give you clean energy and pure focus.
Dont Miss: How Do You Spell Melatonin
Quick Guide To Choosing The Top Supplement
To help speed up your decision in choosing the best acne treatment, we have created this quick and simple guide.
It offers a quick review of the products and the important features that make them stand out on our list.
Therefore, feel free to jump directly to the supplement you want to learn more about and save time.
If you want nothing less than the best product to treat acne, then look no further as Eden Beauty has got you covered.
This product offers everything you need in a natural supplement to help treat acne and help you achieve healthy skin.
A close second on our list of supplements is the Cleanpores system.
It works just as effectively as Eden Beauty and can be a great choice for treating acne breakouts.
Gold and Groove is your safest bet if you are looking for a zinc supplement containing a high essential mineral and vitamin content.
Derma Drink is a great option for someone looking for all the skin benefits of a supplement in the form of a drink.
It is a great option to achieve healthy skin.
If you want to go for a pill, then AENO is the ideal acne treatment for you.
It is an acne-fighting supplement packed into pill form for your ease.
Skin B5 acne control supplement should be your product of choice if you want to combat and prevent acne on a tight budget.
Best Vitamin D
Also Check: Does Birth Control Lower Estrogen
Don’t Miss: How To Balance Your Hormones During Your Period
Daily Multivitamin To Help Reset Hormones
Top Choice: Beyond Tangy Tangerine 2.0 from Youngevity
How to use: take as instructed on package.
This is the second foundational supplement for female hormone balance and it holds a special place in my heart.
Not only is it the go-to daily vitamin in my household, but it helped my cousin reset her hormones and lose weight after years of post-hysterectomy struggles .
So, what makes this vitamin special?
Well, first it contains all the vitamins and 90 essential minerals that the body needs for optimum function.
Secondly, it is made from whole food ingredients so that you get a more complete spectrum of nutrients.
Third it comes with gut-friendly prebiotics and probiotics.
Last but not leastit has a high concentration of many important nutrients
Here are examples of what I mean
- The RDA for vitamin A is 700 mcg. With this supplement, you get 3000 mcg .
- The RDA for vitamin B1 is 1.1 mg. B1 produces energy, breaks down carbs and is essential for activating the bodys detoxification process. With this supplement you get 30mg .
- The RDA for vitamin C is 60mg per day. This is the amount needed to protect you from scurvy but its hardly enough to boost metabolism, detox toxins, regulate your sleep, fight off stress and so on. With BTT 2.0 you get 1250 mg, which is a better starting point for daily maintenance.
As I mentioned before, the secret to reversing hormonal imbalance is to flood your body with nutrients. And this product is formulated to do just that!
Acne Has Been Associated With Low Vitamin D Levels
Studies have linked low vitamin D levels to acne. Researchers theorize that due to the vitamins powerful anti-inflammatory properties, a deficiency in this nutrient may worsen acne symptoms .
A study in 80 people with acne and 80 healthy controls found that vitamin D deficiency was detected in nearly 50% of individuals with the condition, compared with only 23% in the control group .
Vitamin D deficiency was also correlated with acne severity, and a follow-up study showed that supplementing with 1,000 IU per day of vitamin D for 2 months significantly improved acne lesions in people who were deficient in this nutrient .
Your medical provider can determine whether youre deficient in vitamin D and recommend an appropriate supplement dosage.
Vitamin D supplements are widely available in stores and online.
Recommended Reading: How Much Does Testosterone Gel Cost
Hormonal Acne Key Takeaways
- Hormonal acne takes a multifaceted approach, but supplements can be a part of the solution.
- Antioxidant-supportive supplements like vitamin C, zinc, and vitamin E could help lower inflammation and stop free radical damage.
- Addressing acne with supplements that target healthy hormone balance like probiotics, DIM, or myo-inositol is a helpful root cause approach.
- In combination with lifestyle habits like diet, sleep, and exercise, supplements can brighten your complexion and help you feel confident in your skin
The Problem: Dietary Acne
Acne on the cheeks and jaw line is a sign that your digestive track can use some help, says Crysler. A poor diet can be a leading cause of acne. Fried foods, sugar, dairy, and processed foods can cause inflammation in the bodyand also be taxing on the liver. This is why Crysler advises using liver-cleansing and nutrient-dense supplements to help manage those breakoutskey when you wake up after a wild night to a massive pimple on your chin.
Hi! Im Jessica Gremley, Founder and CEO of Natural Acne Clinic. This blog post is a personal one for me as it took 15 years of education and research to figure out how to clear my own hormonal acne.
I launched NAC out of my passion to share the truth about acne and how hormonal acne can be treated naturally. With each client we serve, my hope is to debunk misleading myths and incorrect information about how hormonal acne can be cleared once and for all because I was able to do it for myself.
When we consume the wrong information, we often think the natural approach will not be as effective as a more harsh treatment like Accutane. Not true!
Harsh topicals, birth control pills, and pharmaceuticals can destroy the body from the inside out and are not the only option. Honestly, these are pretty old-school approaches that dont consider the whole body as we do at NAC.
Mad Hippie Vitamin C Serum For Face
Because it has an Environmental Working Group safety rating of 1, youll be able to be confident that it is safe to use. Vitamin C in this product is a stable form of sodium ascorbyl phosphate. This prevents serum oxidation. It also contains ferulic acid and hyaluronic acid, which will help prevent acne as well as wrinkle formation.
- It brightens and softens the skin and tightens it.
- No preservatives have been used.
- The product is soothing but does not cause irritation.
- The density is quite thick.
Stay Away From Cows Dairy :
Research shows that dairy can cause acne due to high levels of iodine. While milk itself does not naturally contain iodine, farmers give their cows iodine-fortified feed to prevent infection. They also use iodine solutions to sanitize cow udders and milking equipment. As a result, the iodine gets into the milk itself.
According to research published in the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology consuming dairy specifically, low fat/skim milk is much higher in teenagers who have acne. Safer options are goat and sheep milk.
Don’t Miss: Where To Buy Melatonin For Dogs
Which Supplements Are Best For Acne
The human bodys largest organ is the skin. Skin acts as a protective barrier, regulates body temperature, and allows for the removal of sweat and oils. A persons skin tone may alter with age and time. Sickness and external factors can also have an impact on the look and feel of ones skin.
Changes in hormones, such as cortisol and thyroid hormones, can have a significant impact on skin health, function, and appearance. Vitamins and minerals might help to restore hormone balance, fight acne, and improve skin clarity. Topical and oral medications have been shown to be quite successful in treating acne. Vitamin A, vitamin D, zinc, and vitamin E are 4 of the most popular antioxidants for battling acne.
Tip #: Load Up On Vitamin C
Did you know that vitamin C is a potent antioxidant that helps neutralize free radicals?
Yep, it’s true this essential nutrient plays a key role in protecting and healing the skin. But that’s not all vitamin C is a known anti-inflammatory, meaning it may help reduce redness and swelling related to hormonal acne.
With that in mind, we recommend adding Good to Glow to your daily supplement line-up a skin-lovin’ supplement filled with not only vitamin C but biotin and organic ashwagandha to tackle skin issues such as acne, dryness, fine lines, and wrinkles.*
Don’t Miss: How Do I Test My Hormone Levels
The 5 Natural Supplements You Need To Stop Hormonal Acne
Using the right natural supplements every day can get you to where you want to be much faster than using food alone.
Ready to recover your glowing complexion and regain your confidence? Here are my top five natural supplements for preventing and healing hormonal acne:
Research The Return Policy
It would be best if you researched a companys return policy before buying its product. You want to know what you are getting into and how much work it will take to get your money back if something goes wrong.
When looking for the hormonal acne treatment online, try to find reviews from people who have tried the product. This way, you can ensure that the reviews are legit, not fake, or paid off by companies.
The return policy is crucial to research before buying the hormonal acne treatment. Please make sure you know the time frame, how many items can be returned, and what types of products are eligible for returns so that you dont have any surprises when it comes time to make your purchase.
Recommended Reading: How Do You Get Your Testosterone Levels Up